In the year 1910 a small group of people in Minersville, Pennsylvania saw the need for establishing a church of
the Orthodox faith. They organized a fraternal society under the patronage of St. Stephen. At the same time, they also chartered the parish of SS. Peter and Paul. Charter members were: John Nicholaevich, President; Trifon Wyslotsky, John Oakill1, Alexander Demsko, Simon Kurilla, Tomko Shoppa, Aleksi Wyslotsky, John Zubkevich, John Barsch, Dimitri Molodchak and Harry Sidoriak. At this same time, they also chartered the parish of SS. Peter and Paul.
The purpose of the corporation to be the support of public worship of Almighty God according to the faith, doctrine, discipline and usage of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church. Charter members were: John Nicholaevich, President; Trifon Wyslotsky, John Oakill, Alexander Demsko, Simon Kurilla, Tomko Shoppa, Aleksi Wyslotsky, John Zubkevich, John Barsch, Dimitri Molodchak and Harry Sidoriak.
The first task to confront the founders was finding a house of worship. They purchased a hall on Third Street and also a plot of ground in Llewellyn for a cemetery. The parish was serviced by a priest from St. Clair until 1912. In 1913, the temporary church on Third Street was sold and the present location on Sunbury Street purchased for $10,000. There were two small homes on the property, one was razed to make way for the church and the other was used as a rectory – the basement of which was used for church services until early in 1914.
On January 1, 1938 the first service was held. The church was blessed by the very Rev. Basil Repella and neighboring priests. The same year, His Eminence, Archbishop Arseny dedicated the cornerstone, assisted by twelve priests. St. Ann’s altar society was established for the purpose of upkeeping the church and rectory and forming fund-raising dinners for the church. 1940 Christmas, a crystal chandelier was imported from Czechoslovakia. 1941 marked the year an iron fence and arch at the entrance of the parish cemetery were installed.
Iconostas was built in 1942 and icons placed on the walls by a well-known artist Nicholas Bervenchak. A copper covered cupola and 1,200 lb. bell was purchased in 1949. On September 4, 1950, the church was formally consecrated by His Grace, Bishop Nikon, who placed a Holy Relic in the altar table. This was the 40th anniversary of the founding of the parish. A banquet was held and the burning of the mortgage was witnessed. (to be continued)